Saturday, October 26, 2013

Need to be Home for DIWALI!!


Remember that Maruti advertisement!!! Hope in spite of all odds the guy manages to get a lift home in a Maruti for celebrating Diwali. Being at home on Diwali is so important.
I too am one such guy. I love the festival, the lights, and the happiness everywhere. I seem to never have missed the festivities of Diwali since ever. While I was a kid, I used to celebrate the festival like crazy.
Starting with the electric lighting on all the visible roofs, painting the walls above those with red paint to write Shubh Laabh and then, in the evenings, running up and down the stairs carrying those earthen diyas in a tray putting them in every corner of the house as soon as the Ganesh-Laksmi pooja got over. And after that, cracking all those fire crackers with so many relatives.
I managed to continue this even after I went to college. Although, getting home wasn't possible during those four years of engineering in a distant southern corner of India, I managed to find some like-minded people. We would dress up in all sorts of traditional clothes, go to temples, light diyas outside our rooms at least and have a lavish dinner after that. This was not the best way we could celebrate Diwali, but at least this was some way we could!!
As it turned out, after getting a job, I managed to sneak back home on diwali for two successive years. Both these times, I distinctly remember watching this Maruti advertisement several times on my laptop before actually leaving for home.
This Diwali is going to be a different story altogether. This time I am far-far away from home. Its been only a few days since I arrived here. So not a big chance that I can still celebrate it with friends. You don't get earthen pots here, so how do I light diyas? We have a temple here, far away from my place, but I think I will go there.. to celebrate Diwali, in whatever way it can be celebrated. The achievement I seem to have achieved, though, is that its a holiday on Diwali here too..

No comments:

Post a Comment