Sunday, December 1, 2013

Life at a German Hospital!

So, I had never been admitted to a Hospital before, nor did I want to be admitted to one in recent future. But as it turns out, things had been planned differently.
In Germany, unlike India, you don't get medicines without a Doctor's prescription. This made me visit a doctor for being prescribed for a simple nasal infection (which I am sure would have cured by itself in Indian conditions). A few hours wait to see the doctor, would have been worth getting some medicines for free. But things unfolded quite differently from what I had planned. The doctor somehow saw some accumulation in my nose on its way to damage my eye (Yes eye! Does it feel serious now!).  He now wanted to operate it that very day, because he was very concerned :P.
Making things short and simple, I was admitted to the hospital, and operated on the very day (the story about the operation can be explained in a different post altogether). When I opened my eyes, I saw myself getting some infusions, and some sort of weird white mustache on my face. So now, my life at a German hospital had started for the next few days!
Everything regarding your health is covered by an insurance in Germany, so you need to pay literally nothing, except the meager charges for your stay at the hospital. It all actually turned out to be a leisurely and boring holiday for me inside the closed premises of a huge building with a lot of food, television, and a lot of people (doctors and nurses) to take care of you.
 The food, I now realized why the Germans are so tall, strong and healthy. Its because of the quantity and not only quality of food they eat. An Indian can't really finish a full lunch which a German has. And as I would say, what I was having was Hospital food, and not a typical household food, you know what I mean. Depending on choice, one can have a 4-,5-,6-course meal on his wish! But yes, unlike where we come from, the Germans don't have a concept of dinner. They have, what is called an Abendessen, which they finish by 6pm, and that is more like the evening snacks we have in India. And to top it all, they go off to sleep by 9pm.
But during this boring stay at a Hospital, I met a lot of people around. The different types of people in Germany, the lazy ones, the curious ones, the ones who always had a smile on their faces, the slightly rude ones (which might be due to their professions). I don't speak German well. So I was initially very terrified at the thought of staying at a hospital and making a fool of myself. But it turned out to be otherwise. I saw the friendly nature of the people here. They were always ready to help, raring to talk to me (although they didn't know English), never forgetting to say thank you and take care. These small things which we take for granted, are taken very seriously in Germany, and says a lot about the people here.
I can write a lot more about the hospital, but now I need to finish what I missed during that lazy week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment